Saturday 28 February 2015

Gopro Camera Review

Gopro Camera Review


"What are the best action cameras?"


This question has been asked to me (and many others) during the last few years. GoPro is known to everyone as the first real action camera; before it was only possible to film in rough conditions by using a digital camera waterproof case and expensive cameras. This is not the case anymore as many other brands are competing with GoPro since a couple of years.


There are lots of action camera reviews out there, but they are mostly dedicated to technical details and they are not too practical.


I am going to give you some "action cam tips", so this is not going to be a "GoPro vs Sony Action Cam" technical review, or any other action camera comparison, as I would like to focus on one camera on each review.


For my skydiving and B.A.S.E. jumping jumps I used to film with GoPro, as I believe it is still one of the best action camera for aerial sports and because I started using them pretty much since they came out.


In this short review I would like to give my personal opinion about the quality of the videos in different conditions such as low light (early morning, evening, rainy day) or high contrast (foggy, snowy, sunny).



I also would like to share my experience to help you choose the best GoPro accessories and/or GoPro accessories bundle.


I am going to give you a few tips on what GoPro dive accessories I find comfy underwater, as this was not too clear to me when I started.


Let's get started!


Low light & contrast


GoPro have always had some problems when filming in low light conditions, but since the introduction of the Hero 3+ black edition, the quality of the images improved drastically.


GoPro Hero accessories


Mounts


For safety reasons, I personally use original GoPro mounts. This is not because I want to advertise them, but simply because I find a plastic "fragile" mount safer than a tough metal GoPro mount. Why? Simple: if for example in skydiving you end up in the situation of having lines entangled around your GoPro, it is much easier to solve the problem by breaking the mount... you lose your camera, yes, but at least you live. The same might happen in scuba diving, even though you might have a bit more time to react, but it is not always the case.


Another safety suggestion, if you want to film with an Action Camera mounted on your foot (when wingsuit flying, tracking or normal free falling), do not mount it on your right foot (or left if for any reason this is where you pull your chute), as it will be in the way of your pilot chute.


This is an example related to skydiving and B.A.S.E. jumping, but do not forget that there are risks involved in other sports as well, so always double check where and how you are mounting your camera.


I find the simple camera head strap one of the best scuba diving accessories, as it stays out of the way and it is located in a pretty safe position. This is also the best spot if you are getting into more technical diving, as you will have much more gear with you.


Case and lenses


I would always use a sealed case in order to keep your action camera waterproof, even if it is a sunny day. It happened a few times that we took off with the plane and by the time we reached the jumping altitude, it was raining and we decided to jump anyway, but this is entirely up to you.


Of course I would go for GoPro underwater accessories for every activity related to water or the possibility of getting wet. Make sure that you switch from the open case to the sealed case before going into the water... it might sound obvious, but I saw a few people having to throw away their camera after forgetting to do something "obvious".


Make sure you use the right GoPro lenses, filters and light underwater, otherwise the result would be a video out of focus, dark or poor of colours.


That is it for this "practical review". One last suggestion I can give you, is to check out for GoPro accessories bundle as most of the time they have all you need plus some extras.


I hope that you found it useful. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any question.


This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.





No comments:

Post a Comment